Get INCREDIBLE guitar secrets you won’t find anywhere else!
Subscribe to our mailing list!

* indicates required
Close
 
The TRUTH about Learning Guitar
 
Improve Your Skills > Fingerstyle/Classical > How Do I Get Better At Classical Guitar?
How Do I Get Better At Classical Guitar?




Hi Jamie,

I play Classical Guitar, but I guess that I have reached the law of diminished returns as my Grade Eight never ever seems to be perfect, and I cannot seem to get any better.. Do you think I would benefit from your “Classical/Fingerstyle Foundation Course” or would it be too hard to go back to basics?

I play every day and at times literally for hours. I hate playing for people as I am a bit of a perfectionist and immediately think ‘’ Oh do not mess it up’’ despite having the piece say, Prelude No two by Villa Lobos buttoned up whilst playing on my own.
Where should I go from here?


If I were not so far away in England the answer would be to ask you for lessons.

Regards,
David


Hi David,

Your situation is extremely common. The majority of classical guitar students struggle with their playing, and the reason is because they have enormous flaws and gaps in their knowledge, training, and technique. Recently, in the Acoustic Guitar Forum, various classical guitar players were talking about how badly they play, and how they would never record themselves because they are afraid of hearing their crappy playing...and God forbid they should ever try to play in front of anyone!

When I suggested to them that they could learn how to play well, with solid technique, they refused to believe me and said “It's okay for amateurs to play badly”! I am going to assume you are not like these deluded folks, dedicated as they are to their mediocrity!

My “Classical/Fingerstyle Foundation Course” is the answer, plain and simple. Many people have fixed themselves up with this course, and you can too, because it works for everyone.

It reveals playing and practice secrets you will not find anywhere else, and that is because I invented them! You have been rushed through your training, and you have been given music to play that you are completely unprepared for. For instance, you say you have Villa Lobos Prelude #2 “buttoned up”, as long as no one is in the room with you! I highly doubt that, because that piece requires very advanced technique to play well. You are just fooling yourself when you think you have it “buttoned up”. If you want proof, just try to record it, and you will see what you really sound like.

The fact is David that you do need to “go back to the beginning” and learn what you should have learned at the start. Otherwise, you will play badly the rest of your life. If you have a bad stutter, everything you say will come out badly, no matter how many times you practice saying it! You must get rid of the stutter. You ask if my "Classical/Fingerstyle Foundation Course" would be good for you - it is the ONLY chance you have of getting to the root of your problems. Any other method will simply give you more stuff to waste time with and play the same way you play now.

If you are serious about playing the classical guitar well, I strongly advise you to check this course out. Oh, and as far as personal instruction from me, distance is not a problem. I have many webcam students, as far away as Australia and New Zealand. So, if you are right across the pond in England, I think we could jolly well get it together!



article 1
Before You Begin Or Continue Your Classical/Fingerstyle Studies - Critical Information
Most classical or fingerstyle guitar players are developing badly, and are plagued with playing problems, and struggle to play. This is sad fact. Here are the reasons why, and what you can do about it
> Read More...
article 2
How To Play "Spanish Romance" On Guitar!
This lesson shows you every detail of how to train your fingers to play this guitar classic easily! You get the notes, tab, and complete fingering for "Spanish Romance". Special tips on chord changes.
> Read More...
article 3
Play "Renaissance Dance" On Guitar!
Most classical guitar lessons just show you the notes to play, not how to teach your fingers to play the notes! This exciting lesson from master teacher Jamie Andreas is different!
> Read More...
article 4
What Child Is This - Fingerstyle Chord Melody
Here is a chord melody arrangement of this Christmas classic, arranged for fingerstyle chord melody. I give you complete fingering and practice secrets.
> Read More...
article 5
Alternating with Index & Middle - Tips
Do we always have to alternate our fingers on guitar scales? Can we re-use a finger, two times in a row? It depends on the circumstances.
> Read More...
article 6
The Right Hand In FingerStyle: To Brace Or Not To Brace
A student wants to know if "bracing" the right hand on the guitar, like his teacher does, will be a good or bad thing.
> Read More...
article 7
The Thumb Up Exercise
A big problem for fingerstyle guitar players is controlling the thumb. The action of the fingers greatly affects the thumb, causing it to tense and miss bass strings. This exercise will help!
> Read More...
article 8
Etude in Bm By Fernando Sor
This beautiful guitar piece is one of the 20 Essential Studies handpicked by Andres Segovia for all classical guitar students. A wise choice!
> Read More...
article 9
The Classical Right Hand
The classical right hand brings the full functionality of fingerstyle playing to the guitar. Why is that, and how do we get some?
> Read More...
you might also like
Organize Your Practice!
Read More...
How You Practice Is How You Play
Read More...
Why You Should Use a Metronome
Read More...
Jamie Plays Prelude & Fugue by Sylvius Weiss
Read More...
 
IN THIS SECTION
Before You Begin Or Continue Your Classical/Fingerstyle Studies - Critical Information
How To Play "Spanish Romance" On Guitar!
Play "Renaissance Dance" On Guitar!
What Child Is This - Fingerstyle Chord Melody
NEWSLETTER SIGNUP
RECEIVE “THE POWER OF TEN”
We Never Email More then Once a Week.
Upon signup receive 10 ARTICLES THAT WILL TRANSFORM YOUR GUITAR PLAYING.
FEATURED CONTENT

156 - Why Is The Principles The Best Way to Learn Guitar?

All other guitar methods have serious flaws that leave you struggling on guitar. The Principles is different....

16 - Learn To Play a Guitar by Learning HOW to Practice!

Everything that happens when you play is the direct result of what you do when you practice. Learn to train your fingers EFFECTIVELY when you practice guitar.

18 - Your First Perfect Guitar Lesson

Many guitar players carry for a lifetime the mistakes they learned when first learning how to play the instrument... Tips to avoid this can be found here!

28 - The Basic Chords On Guitar

These are the chords you want to learn first!