Rock&Blues - First Solo 60, 100bpm

This forum is for those players who would like to get on the path of progress and improve their playing. We invite you to post a video of anything you would like, preferably one that indicates where you feel you need work. Jamie and other forum members will assess your playing and tell you what you need to do to improve. This is also the place for all those working with Guitar Principles products.

Moderator: admin

Rock&Blues - First Solo 60, 100bpm

Postby bdesilva » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:25 pm

Next task in the course is this scale. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLdA3hEaCos

I tried to apply a couple of the suggestions from the prev vid to this solo and I'm still planning a do over of that scale. It just isn't ready. So besides all the details from the course on this solo I added the three things below to focus on.

1) be right on the beat. It's not perfect, but 'seems to me' to be improved from the last vid.
2) touch
3) use more arm and a more solid up stroke
Bryan
bdesilva

Re: Rock&Blues - First Solo 60, 100bpm

Postby Jamie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Very nice Bryan! Nice strong picking.'

Here are a few things:

In the slow one, you are fighting the beat. Try to settle in. It's tough when going slow, but we must be able to do it. I have the same problem, but I force myself, and record it to verify.

You are using "pre-bends", so I don't hear the bend going up. It is fine and legitimate, but you should be able to "slope" that bend up as well. In any case, the pitch is right on.

You are doing a "classical" type vibrato on the plain notes, and not getting to much bang for the buck. I would go more horizontal to the neck.

Good job!
Best,
Jamie
Jamie

Postby light_rock » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:43 pm

Don't listen to me on this one, but...

I think it is very intriguing the classical vibrato with the index finger ! To me that is actually kind of impressive !

I will shift my hand and use the ring finger for that if I really want to make it noticeable and have "heavy arm" coming down through that "firm finger".

BB King will do a firm index, but raises his hand up pivoting off of that finger, extend his other fingers for oscillating momentum, and then let it rip, but he gets a more side to side or "horizontal" or "perpendicular to the strings" oscillation like Jamie is suggesting.

To me, the intriguing part of that is the "firm finger" and a hand raising maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch to get the angle into the string from a heavy arm into firm finger, and for me I mean mostly classical vibrato.

You have a neat thing with the Index vibrato if you can put more weight into it and if you like that. Might be a "keeper" with your geometry if you naturally like it.

:)
---------------------------------------------
*Punk Turtle Avatar copied from photo
(c) w/permission of Chris Van Wyk
light_rock

Postby N E Y » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:06 am

Hi,Bryan

Jamie and Allen have "gotcha covad mah brodah".

If you learn the specific technique to do a classical vibrato it will work. Al uses that all the time and Holdworth as well. It wont change the pitch like a blues vibrato does but it will sound like a classical vibrato, if that is what you are trying to convey.

Of course I can't quite teach you the specific details on how to improve your time here in print, but I will tell you one of the procedures:

Use a much louder click. ;) ;) ;)

ALL MY BEST TO YOU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ney_mello
N E Y

Postby bdesilva » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:50 pm

Jamie wrote:...In the slow one, you are fighting the beat. Try to settle in. It's tough when going slow, but we must be able to do it. I have the same problem, but I force myself, and record it to verify.

You are using "pre-bends", so I don't hear the bend going up. It is fine and legitimate, but you should be able to "slope" that bend up as well. In any case, the pitch is right on.

You are doing a "classical" type vibrato on the plain notes, and not getting to much bang for the buck. I would go more horizontal to the neck.

Good job!

Thanks for the helpful comments Jamie.
Once NEY made it clear that I was ahead of the beat, well, everything has been changing so much. I feel that fighting you are talking about. Instead of just relaxing into the groove I'm fighting a bit to sound the note later. It's a work in progress <g>.

Bummer, I hadn't notice the pre-bends. If I understand the term correctly I'm bending up and then striking the note? One more thing for the big list of things to think about during no tempo I guess.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what classical vibrato is. I'll have to study up on that one! I guess I'm just doing what I think sounds good <g>.
Bryan
bdesilva

Postby bdesilva » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:55 pm

Hehe. Well I'm going to listen to you since you like it! I've never had any training and to be honest haven't ever tried to put vibrato on a note. I've also played very little single note stuff so I just don't know where this is coming from. I think I heard Jamie's vibrato in the course and was just trying subconsciously to copy the sound.

I think I'll try the heavier arm... but one of my next chapters in the R&B course is about Vibrato. I think I'll study that before messing with what I'm doing!

light_rock wrote:Don't listen to me on this one, but...

I think it is very intriguing the classical vibrato with the index finger ! To me that is actually kind of impressive !

I will shift my hand and use the ring finger for that if I really want to make it noticeable and have "heavy arm" coming down through that "firm finger".

BB King will do a firm index, but raises his hand up pivoting off of that finger, extend his other fingers for oscillating momentum, and then let it rip, but he gets a more side to side or "horizontal" or "perpendicular to the strings" oscillation like Jamie is suggesting.

To me, the intriguing part of that is the "firm finger" and a hand raising maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch to get the angle into the string from a heavy arm into firm finger, and for me I mean mostly classical vibrato.

You have a neat thing with the Index vibrato if you can put more weight into it and if you like that. Might be a "keeper" with your geometry if you naturally like it.

:)
Bryan
bdesilva

Postby bdesilva » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi Ney,

Are you asking for a louder click for the videos to be more easily reviewed, or that it'll help me with my change from ahead of the beat to fighting the beat :oops:

N E Y wrote:Hi,Bryan

Jamie and Allen have "gotcha covad mah brodah".

If you learn the specific technique to do a classical vibrato it will work. Al uses that all the time and Holdworth as well. It wont change the pitch like a blues vibrato does but it will sound like a classical vibrato, if that is what you are trying to convey.

Of course I can't quite teach you the specific details on how to improve your time here in print, but I will tell you one of the procedures:

Use a much louder click. ;) ;) ;)

ALL MY BEST TO YOU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ney_mello
Bryan
bdesilva

Postby N E Y » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:44 am

[quote="bdesilva"]Hi Ney,

Are you asking for a louder click for the videos to be more easily reviewed, or that it'll help me with my change from ahead of the beat to fighting the beat :oops:

I can hear the click loud and clear on the video. A louder click will make you pay more attention to the click. Time is subtle. A louder click will make it more evident to you when you are out of time. Many times people put the metronome barely audible (.... you know those casio or seiko toy electronic ones used by Barbie the famous doll to practice her guitar with her girl friends ) and it gets completely covered up by the guitar and no one can tell where the time is.

I use a drum machine plugged into a small amp or when I play drums I use a typical seiko Barbie doll metronome but with earbugs so it is loud in my ears, but not as loud as people like to use their ipod earbugs to induce loss of hearing.
N E Y

Return to Have Jamie Review Your Practice!