Rock&Blues Solos 1, 2, 3

This forum is for those players who would like to get on the path of progress and improve their playing. We invite you to post a video of anything you would like, preferably one that indicates where you feel you need work. Jamie and other forum members will assess your playing and tell you what you need to do to improve. This is also the place for all those working with Guitar Principles products.

Moderator: admin

Rock&Blues Solos 1, 2, 3

Postby daveg » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:56 pm

I was inspired by the rock and blues posting, so I decided to make some of my own videos.
Jamie is right that this sure does make you focus on the effectiveness of your practicing :-)

Thank you in advance to anyone who checks them out and I certainl appreciate the feedback.

Solo1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WMgG5k_zYM

Solo2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccMnXoS5MGE

Solo3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtVbPwAkGlQ

These are also my first youtube videos, so if they're too big/too small/or whatever. Please let me know and I'll fix 'em.
The simple fact that I was able to make these without fumbling, bumbling, and being totally embarassed is a testimony to the effectiveness of the principles :-)

Thanks!

Dave
daveg

Re: Rock&Blues Solos 1, 2, 3

Postby light_rock » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:16 pm

Loved it, especially 2 and 3.

I am not 100% sure of your bends, although they work. I'll have to leave the details of that to like Jamie and Ney.

It looks like you are using too much muscles to push with the fingers rather than a wrist action to twist into
already firm fingers. But I can't tell.

Musically... Money !
---------------------------------------------
*Punk Turtle Avatar copied from photo
(c) w/permission of Chris Van Wyk
light_rock

Postby N E Y » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:41 pm

Solo3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtVbPwAkGlQ

This one above shows real playing. Very good right hand by the way. You are actually picking the guitar as it should be which done in rock which is uncommon!
The time is basically there except in the longer phrases and the starts . You are thinking about the physical playing and not about the time simultaneously Make it great by practicing longer phrases and you will be on your way. Turn up the metronome way louder or get a drum machine.

ALL MY BEST TO YOU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ney_mello
N E Y

Postby daveg » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:13 pm

Thank you both very much for the feedback!

light_rock -- I definitely strive to use as much forearm as possible (never even would have known to do that if not for Jamie), but it is possible that I fell short and used the ol' fingers. I'll watch that going forward.

Ney -- thanks so much for the kind words. I do have a drum machine, and I noted your similar note related to another video. I am going to start putting it to better use :) I think I was fearful of speeding up past the metronome for the video, so it felt like I was putting the brakes on at some points.

Dave
daveg

Postby light_rock » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:05 am

daveg wrote:Thank you both very much for the feedback!
light_rock -- I definitely strive to use as much forearm as possible (never even would have known to do that if not for Jamie), but it is possible that I fell short and used the ol' fingers. I'll watch that going forward.
Dave

The thing is... I just want to be sure you have actually tasted the full on effect of this one.

Maybe the self-test is, can you bend, and on a whim change to a vibrato at any point in the bend, with perfect control, and relatively 'effortless' control, of the timing of the oscillations...

If not, then you missed something on what Jamie was saying.

I feel bad mentioning it because I have not fully mastered this myself. But ! I have tasted it !

I know you "know" at least sort of what I am saying. Thing is, "It gets deeper". Sometimes right from the very beginning !
---------------------------------------------
*Punk Turtle Avatar copied from photo
(c) w/permission of Chris Van Wyk
light_rock

Postby Jamie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Dave, fantastic post and it shows a lot of really good work. Here is my rundown.,.,

Solo 1.....1st bend, good and up to pitch, it went up a bit fast for my taste.

2nd bend......very good, but let it stay a bit longer on the starting pitch, to quick on the uptake, but not by much.

3rd bend........very good, but let it stay a bit longer on the starting pitch, it is a bit flat on top

4th bend.......very good

5th bend.......killer!

Solo #2:

2nd lick, bend on 3rd string, a bit flat
I would like more vibrato on long notes, bent or plain.

Overall, great!

3rd solo:

Great! Just would like that bit of vibrato here as well. You seem to be trying a classical vibrato at times, but I don't hear it.

Very impressive progress so far!

I don't know what you're playing was like before starting the course Dave. How would you estimate the benefits of my course for your playing?
Best,
Jamie
Jamie

Postby daveg » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:26 pm

Jamie,

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. I will review each point to make sure that I understand the issues. You were right about the videos being helpful in assessing what needs work.

These videos are a pretty accurate snapshot of where I stand right now after about 5 years of working with the principles, the path, and the rock and blues course (as well as Deeper, Beyond the BPA, and the newsletters). Before all of that there is no way I could have made these reordings without a lot of false starts, unintended results, and embarassment. When I began all of this I had a random assortment of guitar playing knowledge (chords, a couple of scales, parts of songs), a couple of years of lessons, many years of hacking and frustration under my belt, and very little actual playing ability. It is a little bit difficult to separate the contributions of each of your teaching materials, but the sum of all of them has made all the difference. Some specific items from the Rock and Blues course that were helpful to me would include the anatomy of a bend, the best fingering for each of the pentatonic positions (e.g. using the ring instead of the pinky in some spots), and the importance of getting the key licks smooth and forceful.

I'd also like to post a video or two from The Path, as that book has been enormously helpful to me in being able to switch chords, play and sing, as well as being able to play rhythm guitar in a worship setting.

thanks again!
Dave
daveg

Postby Jamie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks for that report Dave. I really enjoy hearing the specifics of how our products are helping someone. It is even better to see the proof of it in your fingers and playing! :D

It is very impressive to me that you brought these solos to such a high level working on your own. Many people don't have the will to work so hard and refine so much. Fortunately, a good number of people around here do, though.
Best,
Jamie
Jamie

Postby Jamie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:02 pm

Hey Dave, I would like to feature some of your solos here in the GP newsletter. Would that be okay with you?
Best,
Jamie
Jamie

Return to Have Jamie Review Your Practice!