G chord fingering

This forum is for those players who would like to get on the path of progress and improve their playing. We invite you to post a video of anything you would like, preferably one that indicates where you feel you need work. Jamie and other forum members will assess your playing and tell you what you need to do to improve. This is also the place for all those working with Guitar Principles products.

Moderator: admin

G chord fingering

Postby mdwamp » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:47 am

I recently purchased the Principles, the DVD and the Chords and Rhythm book. I've been playing for a little over a year and a half. While reading the chords book, I noticed Jamie explaining the G chord using the ring finger to press the G on the high E string. I learned to use my "pinky" to form the G. Is one way wrong? Is there an advantage to using the ring finger, or does it depend on what chord comes next?

Thanks,

Mark
mdwamp

Re: G chord fingering

Postby chefrusso » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 pm

IMHO, It ALWAYS depends on what chord is coming next.

For example, when shifting from a G to a C chord, it makes more sense to finger it with:
your 4th finger on the 3rd fret, 1st string,
your 3rd finger on the 3rd fret, 6th string and
your 2nd finger on the 2nd fret, 5th string.

you should also keep your 1st finger hovering above the 1st fret on the 2nd string. That way it's right where it needs to be when you make the shift.
In fact, when I change to the C chord, I usually drop my 1st finger first, anchoring my hand as the 3rd and 2nd fingers both shift to the 5th and 4th strings respectively.

If I were shifting from a G to a D however, I would finger the G chord with:
your 3rd finger on the 3rd fret, 1st string,
your 2nd finger on the 3rd fret, 6th string and
your 1st finger on the 2nd fret, 5th string.

That way when I shift from the G to the D I first move my 3rd finger to the 3rd fret 2nd string and the 1st and 2nd fingers move simultaneously to their positions of 2nd finger on the 2nd fret of the 1st string and the 1st finger on the 2nd fret of the 3rd string.

Alternatively, I would finger the G chord with:
your 4th finger on the 3rd fret, 1st string,
your 3rd finger on the 3rd fret, 2nd string,
your 2nd finger on the 3rd fret, 6th string and
your 1st finger on the 2nd fret, 5th string.

With that fingering, the 3rd finger is already where it needs to be! All you have to do is lift your 4th finger and bring the 1st and 2nd to their new positions. Of course, you can't always follow these "rules" since it can also depend on what chord came previously. Since G is a very common key in guitar songs, you'll become very acquainted with these chords and shifting around between them will be a snap!

I would say that knowing both fingerings are very important and you'll also find that as you dig deeper, the G isn't the only chord that benefits from different fingerings. It all depends on where you're coming from and where you're going next.
If you want some recipes, I have a few, but nothing's better on guitar, than some "tasty blues stew".
All the Best,
Christian
chefrusso

Return to Have Jamie Review Your Practice!