Howdy from Texas!!

Introduce Yourself & Tell Us Your Personal Journey With Guitar. Whether new here, or an old timer, we want to hear YOUR love story with the guitar!

Moderator: admin

Howdy from Texas!!

Postby greatdane41 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:15 pm

I am 30 years old, and have been playing guitar for 13 years. I have a similar story to most recreational guitarists. I'm basically self-taught, have played in lots of bands, learned some theory from a good teacher, and consider myself a "pretty-good" guitarist. But I've never been able to become a "great" guitarist. I used to think that either you had it or you didn't, when it came to potential for real proficiency of the instrument, so since I didn't become Eric Clapton within a few years of playing, I decided I just didn't "have it" and never really tried to "get it."

But in the last couple years, I've realized that the reason fantastic guitarists "have it" is becaused they really worked to "get it." I've also realized that I can "get it" if I apply myself and, even though I'm probably not going to become the next Clapton, I could still get pretty freaking good if I work on it. So I'm on a mission to "get it." I've never had anyone instruct me on the actual physical elements of playing the instrument, so I've got about 13 years-worth of bad habits to overcome to get past the technical plateau that I've reached in order to proficiently and fluidly play the instrument.

I found out about Guitar Principles a few months ago while searching online, and have really enjoyed reading the book. I'm really interested in coming up with an effective practice regimine that best utilizes the time I have to practice, and in hearing from other players on the same journey as me. Here's what I'm thinking: "Ok, I've got an hour each day. How should I specifically fill up that hour to best fix the technical hurdles that I have to become the guitarist I want to be?" What exercises, in what order, at what tempo, for how long? Also, how to know when I'm ready to move on?"

I feel like I'm starting over as a beginning guitarist, but I'm really excited about it!! Happy playing everyone!!
greatdane41

Re: Howdy from Texas!!

Postby Stan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Howdy! :D

I'm originally from Russia, currently live in New Jersey, but I'll use any excuse I can find to say "Howdy!" :D

Stan
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Arthur Ashe
Stan

Postby Jamie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:49 am

Hi Greatdane,

Welcome, happy to see you here! You will get what you want here. Study the forums, for sure.

Get those walking exercises going, using all the knowledge in the Principles. As Alex said in another forum, "the walking ex, and right hand string shifting ex"---get those together. Post a video as soon as you can. That is your your first focus.
Best,
Jamie
Jamie

Postby greatdane41 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:18 am

Stan, anytime you feel the "howdy" urge, just send it my way!! :)

Jamie, thank you for such a quick welcome! I'll get started walking and right hand shifting, and I'll work on the video as well. Thanks again, and I'm glad to be in the forum.

Dane
greatdane41

Postby Mike_Hardin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:55 pm

Howdy fellow Texan! :)
Mike here, in Dripping Springs.
Mike_Hardin

Return to Tell Us About Yourself!