Getting to first base with Jamie!

Introduce Yourself & Tell Us Your Personal Journey With Guitar. Whether new here, or an old timer, we want to hear YOUR love story with the guitar!

Moderator: admin

Getting to first base with Jamie!

Postby ckeelan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:41 pm

Wait, that didn't sound right!

I'm coming back to the guitar after 22 years away from it, and looking forward to getting better at it than I ever was as a teenager. I did complete a bachelor's degree in music and theatre, but voice was my instrument and I gave up my classical guitar studies when school responsibilities put a crimp in my time. Once I graduated, I opted for paying the bills, rather than living the dream and now, at 40, I'm feeling the itch to perform. That, and my wife has been bugging me for years to start singing again.

Because I'm busy with a job, earning an accounting designation and raising a 7 year old daugter, my initial goals have to be modest. Right now, I'm only interested in getting to "first base": strumming and playing, because I just don't have the time to delve more deeply into the instrument. But I'd like to build a good foundation of practice so that when I'm finished my accounting courses I'll have the tools to grow as a guitarist.

So I my first webcam lesson with Jamie is next Monday, and I have to say that this is the coolest thing I've done in a long time. Can't wait to get started all over again!

~ C
ckeelan

Re: Getting to first base with Jamie!

Postby Stan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Right on!

A lesson with Jamie is worth it's weight in gold, both in the information you get and in motivation you derive from that...

And once you get into a practice routine - it stops feeling like "work" very soon :D :lol: :D

Stan
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Arthur Ashe
Stan

Postby ckeelan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:03 am

Hey Stan,

Okay, I read your reply (thanks for that) and was nodding along "uh huh, yep, lesson with Jamie GOOD, uh huh".

I have read The Principles at least 15 times. I've watched the DVD many more times. I thought I understood this.

I had no idea.

We did almost entirely left hand work, but of course the "focus" is the entire body. I was tensing my RIGHT shoulder when trying to move my left fourth finger independently, for crying out loud! I was actually sweating, the concentration was that intense.

Ten minutes into the webcam lesson, I got what this stuff is about, but it will probably take me a decade to "understand" it. And I definitely carried this charge over into my practice tonight. Where I ordinarily would have "done" the exercises, but in reality blown through them with only about 60% attention, tonight I spent 10 minutes posing All Aboard on each string and when I moved on to the strumming and playing part of the evening, I was astonished at how easy it was to keep the attention dialed up and the tension turned way down. Hey, I KILLED Three Blind Mice, man. Shoulda seen it. Okay, that sounds like a joke, but I moved from posing on Gmaj, to straight strums, to humming along, to full out singing in less than 10 minutes and it felt easy the whole way. Remember, I haven't picked up a guitar in the better part of 20 years. No performance anxiety, no worries about "am I good enough? Can I really do this?", just dealing with it one piece at a time until it all started to work together.

Everyone who wants to learn guitar, amateur or future Jukebox Hero, should schedule a webcam lesson. One webcam lesson has completely changed how I'm going to (re)learn guitar and definitely increased my chances of learning it well.

Seriously folks: you think you know "The Principles", but you don't! Get the lesson!

Officially the coolest thing I've done in a long time.
ckeelan

Postby Stan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:05 am

Hi!

Glad you're "getting it" ;o)

And chances are - you'll "get" more in the next lesson... and then the next... And then you will start "getting" things just by practicing, paying attention to what you're doing and your body and such. And it only gets better :D :D :D

Then go read some posts by Ney and others on this forum... There are a lot of hidden (and not so hidden) jems of pure wisdom around here... Reading the forum should be a part of your daily practice routine :lol: :lol: :lol: This sounds like a joke, but it is not. I read through this old thread last night - http://www.guitarprinciples.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=110&sid=d35036a0d7d6b7a5533fab2c951c607f - if you read only one post - read Ney's. Very powerful stuff.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Arthur Ashe
Stan

Postby Vanessa B » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:56 pm

Just want to tell Stan thanks for mentioning that post. I went to it and it was amazingly right on. Was really the explanation point I had with a friend last night regarding my music and my desire to succeed. Great post! Thanks for mentioning. ----V
Vanessa B
Vanessa B

Postby chefrusso » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Hey C!

We live in parallel universes my friend. I was a lead singer in a band when I was younger (late high school into early college years), so my voice was my instrument. I always appreciated guitar and great guitarists, but didn't feel like I had the ability to actually play one, so instead I worked on my vocal instrument. Fast forward to 4 years ago, when I was 36, I decided to start learning to play guitar, mostly so that I could actually sing again. I mean what's better than being able to strum a few chords and sing a few songs for friends and family? I was lucky in that I had found the Principles pretty early on, and I was applying them (or at least I thought I was) to the best of my ability. A little over a year ago, I had a webcam lesson with Jamie, and it completely changed my life as well. I started posting videos in the forum for the Rock and Blues course and gained valuable feedback along the way. I actually started to experience that true vertical growth that I heard Jamie speak of so much! Because of the webcam lesson and my involvement in the forum, my entire approach to the guitar is different now and I'm getting better and better every single day. I think I'm even morphing from a singer that plays guitar into a guitarist that can sing!

I would highly recommend taking advantage of the Guitar Improvement Workshop. Post your videos in the forum so that you can receive invaluable feedback on your progress. You won't be disappointed!
If you want some recipes, I have a few, but nothing's better on guitar, than some "tasty blues stew".
All the Best,
Christian
chefrusso

Return to Tell Us About Yourself!