Newbie again

Introduce Yourself & Tell Us Your Personal Journey With Guitar. Whether new here, or an old timer, we want to hear YOUR love story with the guitar!

Moderator: admin

Newbie again

Postby Tomkat217 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Hello,
My name is Tom and I am 41 years old married with 3 boys, 12,8 and 4. I have a guitar now for 6 years. I bought GP about 4 years ago and got frustrated and put it down. Well, I want to start from scratch again. I'm not very good, I really only "goof around" with it. I am reading Jamies' book again and going about it slowly. Should I read the whole book first and then try the excersises, or do them as they are presented to me? All respones will be greatly appreiciated!!!

Thank you
Tom
Tomkat217

Re: Newbie again

Postby Stan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Tom!

Read it through, or do it in pieces - the important thing is to start DOING exercises on a regular basis. And, of course, post videos of your practice - the earlier the better. The day you read this post is a good day to shoot a video of your practice and post it. The sooner Jamie and other folks on this forum can start correcting your practice - the sooner you can start getting the benefits of the correct practice.

Cheers!
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Arthur Ashe
Stan

Postby chefrusso » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Hello Tom and welcome back!

Actually Tom, you should do both. It's more of a reference manual than a book you read from cover to cover and then put it away, never to be read again. It is a book that must be ABSORBED and IMPLEMENTED to be effective. Obviously, the first time around you didn't really follow the Principles. You might have thought you were, but you really weren't. I was also guilty of this the first couple of years I was playing guitar myself. I was doing a pretty good job, but pretty good really doesn't cut it. It wasn't until after I had a webcam lesson with Jamie that I realized I was missing the mark. She encouraged me to start posting videos in the forum and that's when the real growth started to happen. Since then, I have changed my entire approach to the instrument and I have a much deeper understanding of the Principles which I use on a daily basis.

You and I are the same age. I also have children, and I work a job that requires a lot of long days and long hours. Despite all of that, I have been able to improve dramatically over a relatively short period of time. You can also experience this growth, but you have to make the commitment to yourself to make it happen. Don't follow the Principles half way; it won't work. As Stan stated earlier, post videos in the forum for help and guidance along the way. I can't stress enough how valuable this free resource is here!
If you want some recipes, I have a few, but nothing's better on guitar, than some "tasty blues stew".
All the Best,
Christian
chefrusso

Postby Tomkat217 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks for the positive responses Stan and Chef! I do realize it won't happen over night.
I will keep at it and hope to have a video up in the near future, but for sure, I
will be here again askin more questions!!

Thanks again!
Tom
Tomkat217

Return to Tell Us About Yourself!