Wrong road...turning back

Introduce Yourself & Tell Us Your Personal Journey With Guitar. Whether new here, or an old timer, we want to hear YOUR love story with the guitar!

Moderator: admin

Re: Wrong road...turning back

Postby Stan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:05 pm

Mark SL wrote:Stan - that sounds really good, i'm sure you've improved it since then! So you are saying its better form to leave fingers on the strings if they don't need to change for the next chord - got it

Exactly right - but that's only about 1/10th of it.

9/10 of it is that (and you can see it fairly well in James Taylor videos) - he does not move all of the fingers at once to the next chord. He either moves one finger, places it, secures it then moves the rest of the fingers - or vice versa. At least one finger is always ON.

The explanatin of this in more detail as well as the WHY's and HOW's of it are in the "Chords and rhythm" course (or so I am told - I didn't get around to it yet. My "insight" comes from lessons with Jamie. :D )
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Arthur Ashe
Stan

Postby Mark SL » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Ahhh, now I see it! Especially in that first one when they go close up on his left hand. Thanks for the explanation!

I have the chord and rhythms book coming along with the principles book and dvd...if that damn post man would get here :evil:
Mark SL

Postby Mark SL » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:05 pm

Oh and I guess I should introduce myself :D

I'm Mark, 28 years old and currently residing in Chicago, IL.

I guess in hindsight, I probably stopped improving and plateaued at around 5 years in spite of having the instrument for 12 and playing (wrongly) for around 8

Good to be here!
Mark SL

Postby Stan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Welcome to the board Mark (12 posts later... :lol: )

I'm sure I mentioned it somewhere, but so that you and others do not have to dig through the threads - I currently reside in NJ, originally from Russia (most of my ready-to-play repertoire is Russian). Guys in college showed me some chords, mostly self-taught since then (for 18 years on and off).

Started jamming with some friends at the local ski resort last winter - realized I can use some improvement... Found GP :D

This winter I'm planning on sitting in with my buddy's band... Just need to get a half-way decent electric (Strat of some sort, probably) :roll:
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Arthur Ashe
Stan

Postby Mark SL » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Jamie - I'm by no means after having your programs for 3 days now, but in that first James Taylor video, after watching your DVD multiple times, I think I can see how his finger picking is not very agressive at all. He could make those strings ring and vibrate into the soul. Might be hard to be heard with a band backing too. I may be a newbie way off base though :roll:

Stan - good to meet you, I'm trying to plan a trip to eastern europe and Russia in a few months. Can't wait and hope I can piece it together. Also hang out with a couple guys originally from NJ.

I've played quite a bit of guitar, though not as long as you, yet I can see now that what I am capable of probably should be learned by a lot of people in 3 years and without the rust given the right learning.

I'm far too scared to play for more than a few friends after a good amount of elixar :o
Mark SL

Postby Stan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:19 am

Mark SL wrote:I'm far too scared to play for more than a few friends after a good amount of elixar :o

That's exactly how I feel :roll:

And that's exactly WHY I have to do it.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Arthur Ashe
Stan

Previous

Return to Tell Us About Yourself!