Learned theory, now hands on! Pick or Hand?

Introduce Yourself & Tell Us Your Personal Journey With Guitar. Whether new here, or an old timer, we want to hear YOUR love story with the guitar!

Moderator: admin

Learned theory, now hands on! Pick or Hand?

Postby javierf » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Like many in these forums I had a desire to learn the guitar for being so versatile and portable. I have a Yamaha SLG-100N. ;)
I went through Scotty West "Absolutely Understanding Guitar" program and he had Jamie as Facebook friend and that is how I found the Guitar Principles.
After reading through the GP website and Forums posts, I decided to get the beginner's package Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar book and DVD along with Guitar Principles Path Level One: Chords & Rhythm. I have read the Practice book once and seen the DVD twice.

My interest are (1) to play for myself as a relaxing way to releive daily stress and (2) learn enough to contribute in my church praise and worship.
I have used the pick in all previous practices (9 months) and don't know if as a beginner should learn both delivery methods or concentrate on pickstyle and later learn the fingerstyle.

What do you recommend Jamie? :)

I am Javier who wrote you via Facebook.
Yamaha SLG-100N
javierf

Re: Learned theory, now hands on! Pick or Hand?

Postby Jamie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:36 am

Hi Javier,

I would focus just on pickstyle first. I would develop these skills

changing chords smoothly to a beat

strumming smoothly, and learning a few basic strums

developing the walking ex pick style to a medium speed.

getting a couple of songs down well, such as you would play in church.

Now, after you are up and running as a basic player like that, I would start on the much more complex fingerstyle playing.

How's that sound?
Best,
Jamie
Jamie

Return to Tell Us About Yourself!