New Member - Saying Season's Greetings!

Introduce Yourself & Tell Us Your Personal Journey With Guitar. Whether new here, or an old timer, we want to hear YOUR love story with the guitar!

Moderator: admin

New Member - Saying Season's Greetings!

Postby TALON » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:10 pm

Hello GP members:

Just registered and am "jacked up" to begin applying the "principles" of being the best guitar player I can become. I have some questions as to how to navigate around this site, and your assistance would be most appreciated!

First off, how does one direct questions specifically to Jamie, if you want advice from the top as it were?

Regarding one's profile and customizing it, I have attempted to ad an avatar of my guitar but am unable to upload it........ is there a way of compressing the file to fit within the required dimensions?, otherwise I have to leave it blank and that sucks! (I'm very proud of it, and would like to show it off)

Also a question that made me register and create a profile in the first place, and if possible, I would love Jamie to answer this question but if she can't then I welcome anyone else's advice if just as qualified.

Q;

In Chapter 3. of GP on holding the guitar, it is recommended to hold the guitar on the left leg with neck up and foot elevated as one would in playing "CLASSICAL" guitar, my question is "Does a person who is interested in playing Rock/Blues guitar hold their Les Paul in the same manner?, it seems odd although easier to play the notes but I have NO DESIRE to wear my guitar up around my neck when I finally begin to play standing up with my guitar strapped on! :D

And finally a question about how to structure a "SPECIFIC" practice routine so your evolving and becoming a better player each and every week, rather than just going through the motions of lessons and techniques. My goal is to be consistent day in day out but [u]become INSPIRED [/u] day by day because I SEE & KNOW I'm making steady and measurable improvement.

Thanks for reading, look forward to the answers to these questions.

Peace & R&R

TALON
TALON

Re: New Member - Saying Season's Greetings!

Postby Stan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:37 pm

Hello there!

Jamie frequently answers questions by herself, but she's been on the road recently with limited access to the Internet, so I'll jump in and answer your questions for now :D

The BEST way to get your questions answered by Jamie is to take a webcam lesson with Jamie. The answers - should you choose to LISTEN TO and APPLY the answers that you get - will be more than worth your money.

The sitting position - it says in the book that if you practice and learn in the classical position - you can then PLAY in ANY position. The reason the classical position is HIGHLY recommended for practice is because it's most conductive to allow you to learn the basic concepts and learn the right sensations. A lot of folks come to Jamie with the goal to play R&B (myself included). I practice in the classical position (both acoustic and electric) - and throw it right back into casual position to "noodle and doodle" or get up and hang the guitar on my shoulder.

About the practice routine - start going through the book and doing exercises. Start posting videos of you doing those exercises - and the folks here will be more than happy to tell you when to "move on". You want the routine to be MOST EFFECTIVE and you want to learn guitar THE FASTEST - schedule regular lessons with Jamie. Some folks here do it weekly, some (like me) more or less every other week, some do monthly - some do whenever they can. The more lessons you take - the more powerful your practice will be and the faster you will improve.

Also - just to set expectation levels right - if you spend an hour practicing tonight - don't expect to be MAGICALLY better tomorrow. You may not even notice the change. However - shoot a video of you doing an exercise NOW, do it consistently for a month and shoot another video of it... then watch them side by side. If your practice is correct - you will see quite a bit of a difference!!!

Also - just stating the obvious that trips up a lot of people in the beginning including myself - none of the exercises in the book are "too easy" or "too simple" to bother with... The exercises are simplistic - but are not simple at all to do RIGHT. Mastering them takes time - and lays down a solid foundation that will apply to ANY style of guitar - Rock, blues, classical, metal...

Hope this answers at least some of your questions! Welcome to the GP forum!

Stan
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Arthur Ashe
Stan

Postby TALON » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:40 am

Hey Stan:

Thanks for the reply to my questions, its all good advice, especially as to why to position the guitar as advised in GP. My concern was that once practicing like that it would then "develop a tendency and a playing habit" of positioning and holding the guitar ONLY in that way, and that's NOT how I want to play the guitar.

As far as the lessons go that's something to consider, provided the costs are manageable to be consistent with them, not to mention that I would need to put a web-cam on the X-mas list in order to make that possible as well.

Regarding the avatar, how does one upload an image if it appears to be too large to post...... is there a way to compress a jpg?

Thanks again for your insight its appreciated and clears up some questions I had regarding practice and guitar positioning. And I love your quote, amazing how truth and wisdom can be summarized in a simple phrase.

"Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can!"

Peace & R&R

TALON
TALON

Postby Stan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:16 pm

Aaaah, missed the question about the avatar...

Look at the size requirements - open the picture in any image editor (MSPaint will work) shrink it to about the size of the avatar and save it as a .JPG file - that should do the trick.

If that is too tricky or not clear enough - PM me via the message board - I'll give you my e-mail addy - send the pic to me and I'll shrink it. You will still have to upload it though - I will e-mail it back to you.

Cheers
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Arthur Ashe
Stan

Postby chefrusso » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:58 pm

Hey Talon,

Welcome to the forum!

Don't worry about practicing in classical position because it's much easier to go from classical to casual to standing that it is to go from those positions into classical. Of course, there is a little awkwardness at first because you've been learning the motions in one position and then playing them in another, but it's not that much to be concerned with it. What the classical position does, on the other hand, is place your body in the best possible position to eliminate tension. I almost think that this position evolved in the way that it did because playing classical music on guitar is much more demanding than other genres. Like Stan, I divide my practice between "work" and play, so when I'm working, I'm in classical and when I'm playing, I'm either standing or casual.

Good luck and happy practicing!
If you want some recipes, I have a few, but nothing's better on guitar, than some "tasty blues stew".
All the Best,
Christian
chefrusso

Return to Tell Us About Yourself!