Lou Here!

Introduce Yourself & Tell Us Your Personal Journey With Guitar. Whether new here, or an old timer, we want to hear YOUR love story with the guitar!

Moderator: admin

Lou Here!

Postby LASousa » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:37 pm

Hello all. Well a bit of background. I am 52. I am a business attorney practicing in Providence Rhode Island since graduating from Villanova Law in 1983. Seems like yesterday. I have a beautiful wife Catherine and two daughters Emily age 14 and Marguerite age 17. Marguerite is beginning preparation for college. Emily is a high school freshman and a real jock. For 20 years we were avid sailors, trekking all over Vineyard Sound and the Massachusetts coast, thru Rhode Island coastal waters and a few times into Long Island sound. I suffered a terrible personal setback about 3 1/2 years ago. Around that time I was rummaging through my mom's garage to gather some supplies to work on my boat when I stumbled across an old Yamaha FG 331 that I had purchased in college. I picked it up and thought it would be a good idea to pursue this idea that started when I was 20 years old. So I brought the guitar home. Remarkably it survived years of heat and cold in good shape. I waxed her up, learned how to change strings and bought a Mel Bay book. I then graduated to taking lessons here at a music school. Music was and is a large part of my recovery from a personal bottom, and from a recent traumatic event. I have made many great friends through it, interesting and imaginative people. I love playing in the third floor of our beautiful old home, surrounded by my books, every album I ever purchased, with the windows open taking in the fresh air. I love the quiet and solitude that comes from communing with my instrument(s). I have also become the pied piper of guitars. I am always dabbling in buying and restoring guitars, and have donated several to Guitars for Vets an organization that gives guitars and guitar lessons in VA hospitals. I love introducing young people to the guitar. I recently shipped one down as a complete surprise to a nice young boy, son of some good friends, in Atlanta. On his recent visit here we had spent some time playing around with the guitar and I saw the light in his eyes. So I put that into action. He emails me frequently about his own progress and love for the instrument. Those emails just make my day. Anyway, I will continue to play the guitar until I no longer can god forbid. I also very much appreciate this forum and Jamie's incredible help and inspiration. This website is all about the love of the guitar and of life and I am so glad I am a part of it. Well, that's it in a very small nutshell. Peace to all. Lou.
LASousa

Re: Lou Here!

Postby johnnymaceo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Lou,

Thanks so much. You're story stirred in me the truth of the strength and resiliency of the human spirit. As some in this forum have shared being involved in others lives has a reciprocating benefit and brings so much meaning and purpose to our lives.

The Best,

JM
johnnymaceo

Postby Jamie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:43 pm

We are happy to have such pure guitar lovers here in our forum. That is what it is all about. Thanks for promoting the guitar in other people's lives as well Lou. It certainly can be, and is, a life changer for many people.
Best,
Jamie
Jamie

Postby javierf » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:40 pm

As a combat Veteran that I am , I am forever thankful for what you have done for our Veterans.
I am also involved with our church youth so any positive impact I can have or recognize someone else that has done for a child or young person it is commendable.

Thank you for going ABOVE and BEYOND!!!
Yamaha SLG-100N
javierf

Postby Mark SL » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Hey Lou,

I just joined here too, your story is very inspiring and very awesome. Brought me chills. What a beautiful thing you are doing for the vets (my cousin is on his second stint over seas on the front lines and says a guitar is all that gets him through) and for bringing music to kids who might not otherwise get a chance at something that could enrich their lives so much!!

Making the world a better place through music, my hat's off to you and keep it up!
Mark SL

Postby Mark SL » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:15 pm

Oh and maybe consider donating copies of the principles along with those guitars :lol:
Mark SL

Return to Tell Us About Yourself!