righthand string shifting exercise with pick.

This forum is for those players who would like to get on the path of progress and improve their playing. We invite you to post a video of anything you would like, preferably one that indicates where you feel you need work. Jamie and other forum members will assess your playing and tell you what you need to do to improve. This is also the place for all those working with Guitar Principles products.

Moderator: admin

righthand string shifting exercise with pick.

Postby guizz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi Jamie,

I recorded this video of the righthand string shifting exercise with pick.

I use the basic practise approach through it...

Well, I think it might be better to shoot my whole hand - elbow - shoulder relation ?

I stay very relax during all time, nevertheless some litte tension come by fits and starts when I go through the string but I think its normal.

Thank for the review :-)

Here is the link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9KYQeYOGWE
guizz

Re: righthand string shifting exercise with pick.

Postby Jamie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Okay Guillaume, here's the thing....everything is great, form and action, as far as you are taking it. But, it needs to go further, or there will be no growth. Here is what I mean......

You are simply not placing enough force on the string as you play each note. So, the notes are very soft, and you will get no development into the higher stages of playing.

Here is what to do:

1) Use the gradual pressure technique on each note, and push each string ALL THE WAY TO THE NEXT STRING! With each note do this, very no tempo. Pose, and relax at the point of highest pressure.

2) Work this action up to tempo, backing off the pressure somewhat as required by the higher speeds but keeping as much pressure as required.

Do not be worried about the fact that you will be feeling more tension throughout the hand,arm and shoulder as you place more force, this is necessary and inevitable. Simply relax INTO the effort as much as possible.

Begin this, and report back.
Best,
Jamie
Jamie

Postby guizz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi Jamie,

I did a new one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77brO6cgv84

AS you said my hand-elbow-shoulder tend to get some tension, and I try to relax.

( maybe the camera angle is not good enough ? for clear instruction )

Thank you very much.
guizz

Postby Jamie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Very good Guillaume, that is what I mean, keep that up, and work it up.

AND, very important....notice how much weaker your up pick is than your down pick! You are only moving the string half as much on the up pick as on the down pick. Now, there is a whole lot to learn by contemplating (and fixing) that!
Best,
Jamie
Jamie

Postby guizz » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:47 pm

THANK YOU !!

I spend twenty minutes around midday doing this exercise and focusing on the way I hold the pick, and the way the string affect the pick and my finger... consequently.

Very Amazing.

I need to review all the exercise on the principles :-)

I will get back to you in a couples of weeks, ( well...I didn't notice the lack of strengh on my up-pick, so goog to have you there ).

Good afternoon :-)
guizz

Postby guizz » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi Jamie,

I had this record on my computer : solo 5 at 60 pm , I will record it faster this week but I want to know how it looks for you.

solo 5 :

http://youtu.be/V6RUJE10AAg

I think as usual my bend are too flat.

I will post a new video for the right hand string shifting exercise soon.

Thank you.

Have a nice week
guizz

Postby Jamie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:34 am

That is very good Guillaume! I think the biggest help would come from using the thumb more on those bends. It needs to put counter pressure downwards against the bend, and it often is not. That causes extra tension in the shoulder.
Best,
Jamie
Jamie

Postby guizz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

I made this one at 90 bm a couple of minutes ago.

http://youtu.be/7Z6K00KtUYs

I changed my guitar, its easier with this one, the neck is tiny, and I focus on gripping firmly the neck with my hand, and leaving my thumb around.
I think it's better than the other one.

I saw that you have 1000 principles students recently, it just remind me how nice to have you review our work for free on this forum... :D :) ;) :lol:

Thank you very much again, Jamie !!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year ...
guizz

Return to Have Jamie Review Your Practice!