Get INCREDIBLE guitar secrets you won’t find anywhere else!
Subscribe to our mailing list!

* indicates required
Close
The Guitar Principles  
The TRUTH about Learning Guitar
 
The Basics > The Principles > Learn To Play A Guitar and How To Practice

Learn To Play A Guitar and How To Practice



If you want to learn to play a guitar, you must understand that everything that happens when you play is the direct result of what you do when you practice. That is surprising to most people. They think all their mistakes are coming out of nowhere, or they are not warmed up, or "this shouldn't be happening, I just played it so well when I was alone in my room"! They think these things, but they are wrong.

The seeds of every mistake are sown when you practice. The problem is that you don't know this, and that is because you don't really know what you are doing when you practice. You think you are not tensing lots of muscles that don't need to be tense to make your finger movements, but you are wrong. Most guitar students are riddled with tension when they play, but they are not paying enough attention to their body to know this, so the tension becomes unconscious.

Here is some more information to help you understand this vitally important concept:

 

 

HOW you practice the guitar is the single greatest factor that determines whether you will become a good guitar player, or struggle endlessly to play. "Good" practice makes you better at being a good guitarist - "bad" practice makes you better at being  a bad guitarist!

"Practicing" the guitar essentially means "training" the fingers. Like training a dog, the fingers are very capable of learning new skills, but they must be taught on their terms.

The most important thing to do when we practice is to teach the fingers to move with relaxed control.  If we do not know how to train the fingers to have relaxed control as they move, we will not play well, it is as simple as that.

The muscles that operate the fingers must be taught in a certain way in order for the fingers to move smoothly and easily on the guitar. That is because the muscles and nerves of our body follow certain "laws" when it comes to learning new movements. If you do not follow these laws when you practice guitar, your muscles, and the fingers they are connected to, will struggle to play the guitar. They will struggle for one very simple reason:

Bad guitar practice ties up your fingers, and all the muscles needed to play (which means the entire upper body) with tension - and the fingers simply cannot operate when they are full of crippling tension.

The following video will go into a bit more detail..

 

The simple (and sad) fact is that the guitar is a very difficult instrument to learn, and as a rule, it is taught very poorly, so that a great number of people trying to learn are frustrated at how little success they have. They take lessons, and they buy books and dvd's, and they still struggle to play. That is because all existing methods only show you the music itself, they don't teach you how to actually practice guitar in a way that trains your fingers to learn to PLAY that music!

In other words, they don't teach you how to practice!

So, you have a go at it, and do the best you can, and if you are lucky, you might learn how to play something that sounds a little bit like the music!


There are a number of reasons WHY the guitar is so difficult to learn, and also a number of reasons why the usual guitar method falls far short of teaching you what you acually need to play well. I am going to explain some of these reasons in the following video....

"Why Do I Suck At Guitar: Reason #2............You Always Practice Too Fast!"

 

END THE MADNESS NOW!......GET "THE PRINCIPLES OF CORRECT PRACTICE FOR GUITAR"!



article 1
What Are The Principles?
Imagine playing your favorite songs on the guitar easily, with no struggle, and always getting better! There is a method of practicing guitar that will train your fingers for perfect action on guitar.
> Read More...
article 2
What You SHOULD Have Learned In Your First Guitar Lesson!
In this lesson for beginner guitarists, I tell you the 2 most important concepts a guitar student must know in order to teach the fingers how to move in a smooth and relaxed way.
> Read More...
article 3
Why Is The Principles The Best Way To Learn To Play Guitar?
In short, because learning the guitar is a "body learning" process, and all existing methods teach you from the logic of the guitar, not the logic of the body. Learn why this is profoundly important!
> Read More...
article 4
A look inside The Principles of Correct Practice For Guitar
Are you curious about what is really inside "The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar"? Well, why don't you take a look!
> Read More...
article 5
Preface to The Principles Of Correct Practice For Guitar
This "Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar" is unlike any other guitar book you have ever seen. Read the Preface and you will understand why.
> Read More...
article 6
Sign Up For The Guitar Principles Newsletter!
Our newsletter is like no other! Weekly delivery of POWERFUL information and methods to improve your guitar playing!
> Read More...
article 7
Guitar Principles Newsletter Archive
See all of the incredible content in our past newsletters!
> Read More...
article 8
The Principles DVD - Excerpts
Seeing is believing - and understanding!! These excerpts from "The Principles" DVD illustrate some of the primary yet profound aspects of learning guitar that must be learned to succeed on guitar.
> Read More...
article 9
The Foundation Exercises
The "Foundation Exercises" are unlike any other guitar exercises you have seen, and yet, they are the key to mastering the guitar, without struggling.
> Read More...
article 10
Why (Oh Why) Do I Suck At Guitar!!??
Answering this question is the beginning of your recovery!
> Read More...
article 11
The Guitar Principles Story
Nothing happens overnight! Here's how Guitar Principles, and "The Principles Of Correct Practice For Guitar" was born.
> Read More...
article 12
Industry Reviews of The Principles
Read what the professional guitar teachers and players say about "The Principles Of Correct Practice For Guitar"
> Read More...
article 13
Customer Reviews Of The Principles
Read what real players, who are using "The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar", have to say...here are some reviews.
> Read More...
you might also like
Natural Talent - What Is It?
Read More...
Your First Song!
Read More...
What Every Classical or Fingerstyle Player Needs to Know!
Read More...
Aggressive Guitar Practice!
Read More...
 
IN THIS SECTION
What Are The Principles?
What You SHOULD Have Learned In Your First Guitar Lesson!
Why Is The Principles The Best Way To Learn To Play Guitar?
A look inside The Principles of Correct Practice For Guitar
NEWSLETTER SIGNUP
RECEIVE “THE POWER OF TEN”
We Never Email More then Once a Week.
Upon signup receive 10 ARTICLES THAT WILL TRANSFORM YOUR GUITAR PLAYING.
FEATURED CONTENT
The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar-Hard Copy
Why Is The Principles The Best Way to Learn Guitar?

156 - Why Is The Principles The Best Way to Learn Guitar?

All other guitar methods have serious flaws that leave you struggling on guitar. The Principles is different....
Learn To Play a Guitar by Learning HOW to Practice!

16 - Learn To Play a Guitar by Learning HOW to Practice!

Everything that happens when you play is the direct result of what you do when you practice. Learn to train your fingers EFFECTIVELY when you practice guitar.
Your First Perfect Guitar Lesson

18 - Your First Perfect Guitar Lesson

Many guitar players carry for a lifetime the mistakes they learned when first learning how to play the instrument... Tips to avoid this can be found here!
What Are The Principles?

15 - What Are The Principles?

Those who know "The Principles" know that there is no other guitar method like it. It is the key to using every other method! Find out for yourself.....