Walking Across The Strings With Light Fingers
When guitar fingers are moving from one note to another, they must be light and relaxed as they move. To teach our fingers how to move and stay relaxed, we do this simple exercise.
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW TO SEE THE EXERCISE
- 1We set up all the fingers on the 6th string, curled and separated. This is called "All Aboard". .
- 2We keep the fingers light, not pressing the strings
- 3We move the first finger to the 5th string
- 4We then move the rest of the finger to the 5th string, keeping them light.
- 5We continue across the strings until we reach the first string.
- 6We then travel back, leading with the first finger and keeping the finger light, but curled and separated
Congratulations! You have taught each of your fingers how to be relaxed, curled and separated on the guitar strings. This is the first essential step in getting real control of your fingers.
Now you're ready for the next step in your left hand transformation - making the finger firm and adding the arm weight to them with the Heavy Arm...
Jamie's Guitar Principles of Correct Practice has been amazingly helpful to me. I have been struggling with guitar off and on for 30 years, and her guidance has allowed me to reach a level of skill and enjoyment I could never find before, and allowed me to break through the "wall" that I kept hitting on my own.
Past teachers - even those who were conservatory trained- somehow missed the boat. Many thanks to Jamie Andreas!